Thursday 25 August 2011

Making Candles

Decided this would be something I could do as stuck inside for a time owing to not feeling too great.
Thank goodness for the internet and Ebay as I was able to order all supplies needed and make a start from the comfort of my bed.
Went on short outing with GF and was really lucky to spot a candle making kit in a charity shop for £4, but have spent about £25 on supplies and equipment.
As an experiment started with some old bits of candle that I melted in a metal jug I had bought for this purpose in a saucepan of boiling water like melting chocolate.
No water must come in contact with the wax.  The resulting liquid was a bit grey so I added some blue colour to it to disguise it which worked very well.  The dirty bits also seem to sink to the bottom so just discarded that bit of wax.
I had bought wicks and little metal bits that hold the wick in place.  Some molds came with the charity shop kit but I also used two small glass containers and some teacups.
Geri helped me to make them but we found the most important thing was just not to leave it at all but we had a saucepan lid ready to plonk on the top in case of emergencies.
So we ended up making two largish blue candles, two blue candles in the little glass containers and two purple, getting a bit flash now, candles in teacups.
This was all using old wax which was very satisfying apart from breaking one of our large glass holders trying to get the wax out but never mind.
Will certainly continue to make some and use some of the new wax too.
We lit the two blue candles and they burned lovely. Magic

No comments:

Post a Comment